Welcome to A Certain Alternate Universe

Board Rating

Sister Sites

Affiliates
Affiliates (-18)

Topsites

Latest topics
» A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)
by Shokuhou Misaki Fri May 17, 2024 9:07 am

» Amaryllis - A Semi-Realistic Lion RPG
by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:50 am

» Between the lines (Arc 4 Side Story)
by Masaki Chiyo Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:17 pm

» [SS] A Certain Valuable Remnant
by Kumokawa Maria Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:08 pm

» It's a pleasure meeting you.
by Kumokawa Maria Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 am

» Myriad Paths | Immortal Cultivation RP
by Guest Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 pm

» ✨???? moon power! a sailor moon roleplay
by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:15 pm

» [SNPC/Magician] Nabuki Kenozuya
by Leivinia Birdway Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm

» Ichinose Mitsuki ( esper )
by Shokuhou Misaki Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

» [Esper] Kakira Denji
by Shokuhou Misaki Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:33 pm

[SS] Fish Noise

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[SS] Fish Noise Empty [SS] Fish Noise

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 pm

July 20th; 12:10 PM

Geez. That guy is really cutting it close, isn't he? Maybe he decided to take an easier job? 

Needless to say, Misaki Shokuhou was not exactly in the best of moods. She made a point to never lash out at other people - certainly not in front of other people - and did her best to always maintain a level-headed approach towards any problem. In her opinion, to lose one's composure was tantamount to losing control over oneself. And if an individual could not remain in control of themselves, they left themselves wide open for... Well, any number of things.

Misaki took a moment to force herself to calm down, and took a slow sip of Earl Grey tea as she did so. The sweetened, piping hot substance soothed her as fingers of flavored fire snaked down her throat and throughout her body. By the time she removed her soft lips from the rim of the glass, she felt like her head had been cleared. In the time it took her to down a sip of tea, her best-laid plans came back to her. They didn't come all at once, or even threaten to overwhelm her. Instead, much like the tea, her thoughts seemed to gradually come into focus and soothed her mind as they did so. Slowly, the world around her changed from the familiar walls of her single suite dorm room to the semi-familiar setting of a quiet café.

She had been here, just moments before, but had needed to let her control over this second body wane for just a second or two. Well, she hadn't needed to forsake her command over this body in order to enjoy her tea back in the dorm room, but she had stopped paying attention for a moment. To Misaki, the switch had not been a switch at all. Rather, it was as if she had looked away from a computer monitor in order to clear her own vision and head. Now, though, she was back at the keyboard and readily exerting full control. As expected, the student whom she controlled had not even noticed the mental shift, since Misaki hadn't actually "turned off" the CPU of her mental computer. The realistic computer game had been put on pause, and had resumed just as quickly. For the "player character" who was being manipulated with the ease of a machine, there was no lost time or weird feeling of disconnect.

Level Three Esper. Name: Mira Nabeshima. Ability: Terminal Shift.

It had taken Misaki a good day or so before deciding who to take control of in order to meet the seemingly late hired-hand. This girl seemed best-suited to the job, especially if he was involved. Mira's unique ability to manipulate factors such as "momentum", "velocity", and "force" upon direct skin contact were useful. The drawback was a restriction that made it so she could not affect herself with the ability, and could only manipulate such factors on other objects and individuals. Further, plasmatic or fluid substances were harder to calculate manipulations for compared to solid material. So, compared to that person, Mira's ability - at her current level - was nothing more than a miniature modeled after the true pinnacle of this sort of power. Misaki watched from behind the monitor of the girl's eyes, turning Mira's head left and then right. For this particular assignment, Misaki felt that direct, live control would be more useful than hypnotizing and brainwashing poor Mira to get involved in something so dangerous. In a quiet mimicry of her own actions back in the dorm room seconds earlier, Mira helped herself to a sip of black coffee.

Bitter.

Bleh! Disgusting. How can people drink this stuff without sugar or cream? Misaki complained internally to herself, though she did not allow Mira's feline-facial expression to change.

Mental Out was not only a useful ability for outright dominating the psychology of others, but was also good for learning things about a person. For example, Mira had ordered her coffee black, the same way she always did. Through a simple scan of Mira's personal preferences and individual quirks, Mental Out had ensured there was no inconspicuous behavior on her part while controlling this girl. Ideally, Mira would not suffer any personal harm from either tonight's mission or in any aftermath if things were cleared up. Even so, it was just past noon - when the man had agreed to meet her, at this spot - and Mira was the only one sitting here like an idiot in her casual attire.

[SS] Fish Noise 16421511

"Maaaan~" Mira complained, stretching in the metal, mesh chair and laying both arms out in front of her, reaching them as far as she could past her half-filled coffee mug. She leaned forward, and let her chin rest on the flat surface of the table as she brought both hands around the white, ceramic mug of bitter lifeblood. Out of resentment for both the foul taste of the beverage and the lack of punctuality demonstrated by a so-called professional, her sapphire eyes glared at the cup like it was some kind of detestable person who had wronged her.

"That guy is late! I should start taking deductions off his paycheck. That might put a skip into his step!"

Last edited by Misaki Shokuhou on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

[SS] Fish Noise Empty Re: [SS] Fish Noise

Post  Autumnus Springs Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 pm

July 20, 12:09:32 PM

Autumnus had chosen the contact point. He felt it necessary in order to keep himself safe. Of course, his contact hadn't exactly been specific about where to meet, so Autumnus didn't believe that the person setting this up was planning on trapping him. Of course, precautions had to be made. The contact point was in a densely populated part of the city. His client had insisted on some things of course. Of course, the large crowd would be easy to blend into. Next to the contact point on the other side of the wall was a dumpster, filled with remote explosives: enough to likely take out anyone in the cafe, next to the wall, should the need arise. It would be useful is producing a distraction so he could get away.

Of course, Autumnus wasn't in the cafe in the first place. He could be found leaning against a wall inside a small alley next to the cafe. The alley was run down, and there was a back door to a store, presumably for a fire exit.

He was wearing casual wear. He hoped his hoodie could cover his face enough to keep him unknown. He reached inside one of his hidden pockets to check what the nature of his assignment was. However, all he got was the contact point. His employer must not have specified any details. He feared that his employer was more clever than he thought. His hand closed tighter on the detonator for the explosives.

July 20, 12:11:24 PM

After a few minutes, his Location Read picked up a Level 3 esper in the cafe behind him. He quickly jotted a few notes in his journal, and went out to meet the contact. A girl who had been sitting in the seat outside next to the wall, presumably waiting for something. He didn't go in at first, as he had no information on what his contact looked like, something he found most irksome. After careful consideration, he went in to the cafe, went outside, and pulled up the seat next to the girl.

"Can I sit here?"

Last edited by Autumnus Springs on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Bolding timestamps)

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  Hisakawa Miyako Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 pm

5:10 A.M, July 20th, France.

"Boss, you sure you should be up at this hour?"

A young boy suddenly appeared behind Miyako, and asked her a question.

"GAH?! What the hell are you thinking, Akira! Talking so sudde- Wait ... I'm sure I had the plane ticket in my hand, where'd it go? Where is it?!"

Miyako panicked, she had finally gotten her hands back on the ticket since she already lost it in her pile of papers, and she lost it again.

"Its right here, calm down Boss ... This wouldn't have happened if you had called Natsumi, why didn't you?"

Akira held the plane ticket in his hand.

"Well, somehow, I didn't feel like telling her right now that I was going back into Academy City."

Miyako wasn't particularly afraid of Natsumi's reaction, she just had a feeling she shouldn't tell her so soon.

One thing that Natsumi and Miyako shared were their hatred towards Academy City, Miyako was going back there after several years only for professional reasons.

"What time is it, in Japan?"

"...You don't even know? It's 12 P.M right now, why?"

"...Lucky them, they must've gotten some sleep..."

"Boss, if I may, you're the one who stayed up all night..."

That was true, she had stayed up all night for two days in order to complete paperwork and such, and got busy during the day to take care of her French recruits one last time before leaving.

"Are you planning on not sleeping this night either?"

"Affirmative. I'll sleep when I'm on the plane."

"You'll miss out on the scenery."

"I've seen it a lot, I can live with that ... Done! Now I can finally get to my luggage!"

"That still isn't done?!"

"Don't complain and come help me out."

"Eeh? Uuh ... I'm ... Busy! That's it! I'm kinda busy right now so I'll have to go! See you later, Boss!"

That was runaway, at its finest.

Miyako could get really scary when angry, and making her luggage was one of the things that pissed her off the most.

She never considered buying a bigger luggage, and the one she currently had was slightly too small for her needs.

"Well, I'm sure I'll manage to fit everything in! I did it each time, and I'm gonna stay a whooping while in Academy City, so no worries to have to do it again, yay!"

She sang as she went to get her clothes in her wardrobe.

"Still, Academy City, huh ... That's going to be a lot to handle, I wonder how much everything changed over there..."
Hisakawa Miyako
Hisakawa Miyako
Level 3 Temporal Hack

Back to top Go down

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:12 am

July 20th; 12:13 PM

"Can I sit here?"

...!

...!

She had barely heard the guy approach, but this was most likely because one of Mira's ears was pressed to the iron table, taking in the various filtered sounds and vibrations caused by cars rolling by. As for her other ear, it was left to pick up on the chatter of the occasional passerby, and eventually the soft, rhythmic sound of footfalls. Almost immediately after the question had been asked, Misaki - still controlling Mira with no effort on her part despite being halfway across the city - had her doll perk up. A pair of dark, indigo eyes blinked once as they adjusted to the light of the sun behind the man. He came into focus quickly: a young, serious looking man staring down at her, expectantly. Then she realized he was waiting on an answer. Internally, she chided herself to give more specific commands, correctly assuming that this hired helping hand had not been given any picture of the puppet Misaki had chosen just before sending the message through her network of controlled contacts.

Hm, he looks serious... I guess that's a good thing, though.

The seemingly glued-on cat-like smile of Mira Armstrong curled playfully upon a pair of pretty lips. She sat up, pulling her arms back and claiming her coffee mug with a gentle grip from either side. Her eyes remained glued on the curious individual before her. Misaki possessed no ability to read his mind through this vessel, and it would take far too much effort to actually hone in on him. Doing so would also defeat half of the purpose of this experiment. So, Mira gave a small nod and leaned back in her chair, staring up into the sky. Her eyes squinted in the sunlight, but she had a relaxed, lackadaisical demeanor to her. This was the normal behavior for this girl, not that the newcomer would even know that. Still, Misaki enjoyed being "in character" when a direct order would not suffice and remote control became more appropriate. It helped things flow more smoothly.

"Yeah, of course you can~" Mira finally said, to accompany her earlier nod. "You're just the person I wanted to see. I wasn't given a picture either, but I guess our boss was in a bit of a hurry. Besides, for the type of job they have planned, we don't exactly want to leave a trail."

For a moment, Misaki allowed her proxy to pause, before making Mira open one eye and focus that eye's gaze down towards the mercenary.

"That...won't be a problem for you, will it?"

Though only a token gesture, the leading question served a purpose.

Autumnus had been given either a chance to back down, or a helpful lead-in to discussing the aforementioned job.

Last edited by Misaki Shokuhou on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnus Springs Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 am

He was worried by this whole situation.He didn't know what exactly he needed to do for this job, and even if he was talking to the right person. At first, he thought that this could be a sting operation. But he had seen such things happen before, and he doubted that this was it. The statement seemed to be worded to make him confess to something. Had his contact been found? Was this a trap? There was only one way to find out. He kept his thumb on the detonator, and asked a carefully worded question.

"May I see the terms of the contract?"

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 am

Right to the point, hm? I guess that's to be expected.

"Contract?"

The feline-like smile faded as the girl's eyes opened slightly to regard him with a look of confusion. She seemed to not know what he was talking about, or was a very good actor. The inquisitive smile had changed into a small frown, and even that appeared to be cat-like in nature, more of a downward "v" than a simple curve of the lips. The girl sat up in her chair and released the cafe's coffee mug from her two-handed grasp. She seemed to be pondering the meaning of his words, looking awfully like a child who forgot the answer to some question in class. Then, the metaphorical light bulb clicked on, and her eyes opened wide for only a moment. At the same time, she snapped her right hand's thumb and middle finger together in a gesture of information recall.

"Oh, that's right~" She said, sounding far more relaxed than embarrassed about forgetting such a thing.

As one hand produced a letter with the seal broken, her other toyed with the handle of the coffee mug; a sign of boredom, perhaps?

"Also, you should know, I'm not the one who planned this operation, so don't go getting the wrong idea, 'kay?" While she gave that disclaimer, she extended the letter towards him, and nodded once to signal that he could take it and read the contract for himself.
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnus Springs Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Autumnus looked at the letter. It was printed on a regular sheet of paper, and it appeared normal. Overall, the job seemed fairly typical. He finished reading the contract.

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:53 pm

To: The Man of Leaves, and the Feline Female

Hello, and thank you both very much for agreeing to meet like this. If you two have met in public, then that means my two contacts are finally in one place. That means the rest of this message becomes relevant to both of you. For personal reasons, I can not tell you my name, and assure you that this letter contains neither DNA nor prints nor even my personal handwriting. All this letter contains are the instructions I want both of you to follow. The envelope this letter came in also contains two money cards, and an e-card reader that will verify the amount on each card. This is half of the payment I have agreed to provide. You will receive the other half after completion of the job.

Your job - assuming you have accepted it along with the first half of your payment in the form of that money card - is simple: research the individual known as Shinobu Nunotaba. Information on this individual is provided in a manilla envelope, that is in Kitty's possession. Use this information to look into this person. Observe her, and gather hard copies and digital records of all information you can possibly find. Keep an eye out for any strange behavior. Record everything you see, and look for incriminating evidence that may suggest why she left her promising research project behind. Remember the rumors you may have heard about clones of a Certain Electric Level Five, and most importantly be as discreet as possible.

- Big Dipper

While the male mercenary read over the letter, Mira rummaged around in her cloths for just a moment. Then, she produced two items: a mailing envelope with the top torn open - though, inside were the e-card reader and one money card - and a manilla office envelope. Mira's cat-like smile was back upon her lips, an apparent "default" expression to suit her lackadaisical demeanor. She opened the envelope, and gestured for the mercenary to sit down if he wanted. She turned the now open manilla envelope around and slid it towards him, keeping her fingers lightly held down on the contents of the packet.

"The girl's name, as you'll see, is Shinobu Nunotaba. But, I guess you already read that, huh?" She asked, seemingly speaking half to him and half to herself.

"This folder seems like white papers on the girl. It includes her birthday, her school, even her blood-type! This "Big Dipper" person must really have some access to information. But apparently, they don't have enough. Or they wouldn't need us. You can see here she worked at some fancy lab or another. Then left, without any explanation. The official company records state she was no longer required for the "project". I was thinking that maybe that place is a good area to start, but we could always just look into the apartment."

Sure enough, if Autumnus perused the folder, he would see tons of information about Nunotaba. A girl genius, to be sure... And a few photographs of the "apartment" Mira spoke of could be found in the folder as well, with a room number.

"Oh! That's right! My name is Kitty~ At least, it is on this job. Big Dipper advised us not to give one another our true names, so be sure to think of a cool code name, alright!?"

Fufufu... Acting really is fun, ne?~
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 am

July 20th; 3:25 PM

‘That’s the final one…’

A shadowed figure clothed in a navy gothic lolita dress with a white lab coat over it straightened up from her crouched position in a darkened alleyway. Her dark, shaggy hair fell messily around her head, the curly strings not quite managing to reach her shoulders. Although she was very much average in build for a seventeen year old, her constantly wide-open, unusual eyes gave others something to remember her by. Dark bags sagged beneath them, an obvious sign of sleep deprivation.

The teenager’s small irises glanced around the quiet area, and her eyes narrowed slightly. Earlier, she had passed off the feeling as paranoia, but she was certain now that she was being followed. And it couldn’t mean anything good.

A hand tightened around a large, empty envelope, creasing the object around the edges. Her self-imposed job for today was done, with the cash cards she had prepared now distributed around the hidden alleys of district 15. Tomorrow, she would take care of district 7. Hopefully by then end of the week, the experiments would have to be halted, allowing her greater time to devise a more permanent plan of action.

‘That’s right…’ she reminded herself, ‘It’s not like this will actually affect the experiments in the long run…’

For now, Nunotaba Shinobu had to be just content with slowing them down.
Without turning her head, those creepy eyes focused on the corner of her vision, where she was certain something had moved. Whoever they were, they were obviously becoming impatient.

‘I should retreat, before they decide to take action. First, I must lose them.’

Nodding to herself, Shinobu began to walk ahead at a leisurely pace. She showed no signs of being aware that she was being followed, keeping up her aloof aura. Shadows grew behind her and she thought she heard whispers of voices in the air, mingled with a restrained snort of gruff laughter.

As she rounded a corner, she suddenly broke into a run. She heard a shout and sounds of footsteps follow, but the teenager did not look back. Instead, she took a sharp turn to the right, entering another alley.

Her naturally wide eyes widened further.

It was a trap, an ambush. They had already been waiting for her here.

Her feet slowed into a walk before coming to a stop, facing the group of Skill Outs grinning in triumph. Behind her, Shinobu could hear the ones who had been chasing her approach. She was surrounded.

The teenaged girl showed no signs of alarm, calmly staring ahead as a few of the Skill Outs came closer with leering smiles.

“What do you want?” She asked directly. Her voice was also calm, exuding quiet confidence.

A guy with a mohawk let out a bark of laughter.

“Are you stupid or something?”

Shinobu said nothing, staring at him through her small pupils.

He sneered. “We know you’ve been distributing out those cash cards like bags of candy. Don’t try to deny it.”

The two dots that were her eyes continued to pierce through him wordlessly.

“Don’t you get it?” Another guy growled out, obviously growing impatient. “Hand everything you have over.”

“I think you’re the one who doesn’t get it,” Shinobu said simply. Her voice was quiet, but the confident tones rang out clearly between the two concrete walls surrounding them.

“What?!”

“I don’t have anything to hand over. Dis~char~ged~” She rolled the final English word with her tongue.

“Don’t give us that shit!” The impatient one suddenly lunged forward, grabbing her arms and pushing them up behind her back painfully. Shinobu made no sound, allowing herself to be manhandled. Her hand lost grip on the empty envelope and it floated down to the ground.

“Check inside that,” the guy holding her commanded, “and check her coat pockets!”

Shinobu’s expression remained blank as they proceeded to carry out their orders.

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

https://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t81-esper-misaka-mikoto

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:43 am

July 20th; 3:25 PM

Since arriving in District 15, Shirou Kotomine had entertained himself by walking around the metropolitan shopping district. He would occasionally allow his gaze to linger on this or that store display, though he had no interest in actually buying anything. Between the Chapel on the Hill in District 12 and the much larger Church in a nearby city, he had all the shelter and space he wanted. He was a man of modest means, and was a bit used to technology compared to many magicians.

He had learned from many years of observation and practice skills such as plumbing, carpentry, and maintenance. Further, he had always enjoyed taking things - electronic appliances included - apart, and became familiar with them that way over time. Even during his mission as an Executor - when hunting vampires, werewolves, ghouls, and other such creatures - he often relied on technologically advanced weaponry. But, outside of weapons or maintenance, his functional knowledge of technology was lower than average. Well, at least compared to the average citizen of Academy City. Operating a vehicle or a sophisticated on-board guidance system for a UAV was child's play, but things like "phone applications" and the numerous, spinning trash cans perplexed and intrigued him.

"What!?"

And with that abrupt, ill-tempered demand, Shirou's attention was pulled from the flashing LED lights and Level 5 bobbleheads to the nearest alleyway. He had passed dozens of identical looking alleyways since arriving in District 15, but none of them had any people in them. Aside from excited children, sweating neckbeards, and scantily clad schoolgirls sniffing about. Shirou had found the behavior of such individuals peculiar, but was not sure about the customs of this city. He did not know if they were all looking for something - the kids seemed to be, if nothing else - or if the alleyways were just convenient methods of getting from point A to point B. But now, his own interest in the alleyways had been peaked. He made sure he was not being watched for just a second.

Then, he melted into the shadows.
________________________________________________________________________________________

In the next moment, Shirou was on top of some store's roof. He first peeked over the edge, confirming that no one was in that alleyway, which one could see the street from. As if on cue, a voice called out once more.

"Don’t give us that shit!" The perturbed man yelled, unknowingly confirming the gang's location.

The alleyway the group was in was not visible from the street, nor accessible save from by other alleyways and one storefront's back door. Oh, and of course, from above. Shirou knew people didn't tend to look up or down without reason, and so he had no qualms about crouching on one knee and peeking over the edge of the building to look down upon the group. He knew someone was upset - that much, he had deduced from simply overhearing the two angry shouts - but hadn't really cared to guess why.

As the alleyway and its occupants came into view, Shirou's relatively passive expression changed into a subtle frown. He looked on from above as one gang member held a girl's arms against one wall, and a couple of others were frisking the pockets of her white lab coat. Another was rummaging through an envelope, his meaty hand shoved inside and probing for anything valuable. The boy priest had interfered in muggings once or twice before, but this felt different. The group was fairly well organized, but at the same time, anarchistic.

Like the pack of wretched curs they are. Shirou considered, labeling their "teamwork" as little more than animal instinct.

Almost instinctively, Shirou's mind and eyes became one... The scene before him seemed to slow to a crawl, and he began to process the information that was most apparent to him.

She is a scientist. One man is holding her arms, he'll be off balance. He is their leader, judging from how he orders that one to search the envelope. Two more are going through her coat pockets. One on each side, focusing on her jacket. A fourth is checking the envelope. Two more stand several feet to her left. They - along with the four nearest to her - probably chased her into this isolated area. The group on her right is five in number, and are further away. Their purpose was to complete the trap. They caught her between a rock and a hard place.

Number of targets: Eleven. Five off guard to one side. They think their job is done, and have let their guard down. The two off to her left side are slightly more guarded. Of the four that are on her, the leader would be easiest to take down, but doing so would jeopardize her safety. They are looking for something that can fit in an envelope. Most likely, money.

And what would these dogs do, if their prey didn't have any meat to offer them?

He assumed they would take whatever they could get... Including her. It would not take for this situation to escalate into something more abominable than a simple robbery. He was not prepared to let that happen. With a simple blink of his eyes, the world around him picked up once more. He had analyzed the situation satisfactorily, and had made the same decision as before: He would intervene, and rescue this girl.

No more preparation was called for.

Shirou had to act, and he had to act fast. Otherwise, this could turn into either a case of brutal sexual assault or at least a hostage situation. Both hands reached inside his black cloak, and both came out holding different items. The group of five that had completed the trap by waiting for her were to the girl's right... And to Shirou's left. His right arm tossed a small, steel cylinder across his front and down into the alleyway. The canister was only about six inches tall, but it would pack a mean punch.

A blast of light, and an explosion with enough concussive force to knock out a defensive linebacker in full charge. Such an incapacitating weapon would be more than enough to knock out the five gang members who had initially waited in the alleyway for their prey to come running. The military-grade flashbang would be incredibly hard to notice coming from straight above without a sound. The only real warning would be given when the cylinder fell - pulled downward by gravity - smack dab into the middle of the group, and gave off one soft--

*clink*

Now!

Shirou turned his gaze away from the group of five, armed thugs. As he did so, the alleyway was filled with a blinding, white light and a simultaneous acoustic attack. And the five thugs off to Nunotaba's right had been caught square in the epicenter of the flashbang's blast radius. As for the others down below, they would be left with ears ringing and possibly be slightly disoriented. He had calculated Nunotaba's immunity to the blinding effect, since the gang leader was pressed into her and at least one thug was between her and where the explosion of light would be, off to her right. As for those who looked right at the blast, their vision would also be robbed for a few seconds. That was all the time Shirou needed, and all the time he was willing to spare.

Immediately after turning away and plugging his ears, the flashbang had gone off. The only reason he could still hear was the distance between him and the explosion, along with his ears being plugged. And frankly, even that hadn't been enough. His ears were ringing slightly, even from here. Still, no one down below would be as bad off as the five people who had been standing around the grenade when it went off. They would be knocked out, and would probably need medical attention within the next day or so to prevent any permanent damage from setting in. The telltale ringing in his ears had been his cue to move, and he didn't miss a beat. Right after the ringing started, Shirou leapt from the roof and landed on a metal handrail of some staircase attached to the side of the building.

The other item he had produced was brought into position when he leveled his right arm. In his hand was a stun-gun, and he quickly allowed himself to fall the rest of the way into the alleyway below. For an Executor, landing unharmed from such a drop was easy, even without magic.

After he landed, his right index finger depressed the long, black trigger. In response, the electricity flew between the silver electrodes of the device and crackled noisily. The sparking end of the device was thrust into the underarm of the gang leader, pressed firmly just above his ribcage. Contrary to popular thought, stun guns did not typically conduct a charge through multiple victims. The worst pain Nunotaba might feel would be the tightening of the thug's hands on her arms. But even that would be as short-lived as it was involuntary; a result of the electricity coursing through him. Nothing more. After a few seconds, Shirou practically ripped the taser from the leader's body, which would allow him to join his fellows beneath the sea of consciousness.

Unfortunately, there were still five gang members left. The two on either side of Nunotaba, whom had been checking her pockets. The one whom had been ordered to rummage through the letter. And lastly, the two who had been standing off to Nunotaba's left, whom had helped chase her this way to begin with.

...Not good. Shirou thought inwardly, even as the gang leader's body fell to the ground. There were still five left, and he wasn't sure which ones would still be reeling from the flashbang, and which ones would be ready for a fight, or which ones might suddenly be second guessing their situation or - hopefully - not even sure what was going on even now.

Out of concern, his focus drifted to the two nearest him; they were the ones on either side of Nunotaba, their hands still likely in her pockets. He knew there were three behind him as well, but only one remotely close enough to do anything. Shirou tried to continue assessing the situation, all the while carefully watching the faces of Nunotaba and the gang members, in case the one just behind him made a move.

Focus. If you screw up now, this could still end badly.

Luckily, the "hostage" was no longer completely helpless, as her arms had been freed, and the man whose weight had pinned her arms to the wall was now sprawled about the ground like a useless sack of potatoes.
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Shinobu’s eyes glanced to the side where one of the thugs was reaching deep into her coat pockets. Her arms had been roughly pushed against the wall, her assailant ordering the others around while holding her immobile. Even so, she didn’t feel the need to panic. After all, the girl hadn’t been lying when she said she didn’t have anything on her; they could go rummaging through her stuff as much they liked and they would find nothing. Of course, once they realised they had wasted their time, there was a high chance the thugs may focus their anger on her directly. But if that happened, she would-

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted by yells behind her. From the corner of her vision a bright light erupted and Shinobu instinctively averted her eyes although she was already turned away from it. A ringing noise grew in her ears, drumming through her head painfully and she realised her sense of hearing was lost.

‘A flash grenade..?’

Before she could complete her thought, the grip that had been constricting her arms suddenly tightened and then released. Without a moment’s hesitation, she spun around to see the crumpling form of the thug who had been holding her.

Glancing up briefly, Shinobu registered the fact that a newcomer was amongst them- this was probably the person who had thrown the flash grenade. Ever the efficient one, she did not waste time wondering who they were or what their intentions were. Instead, she took the advantageous turn of events right into play.

Twisting around, she slammed a well-aimed kick at one of the guys who had been rummaging through her pockets. The strong blow landed right in his stomach and his mouth opened into a cry of pain as he stumbled down. The other guy took a step backwards, unquestionably shocked and bewildered by the current situation. Wanting to seize this chance, Shinobu aimed a knee-kick into his vulnerable groin.

“You little bitch!”

Although she couldn’t hear and she was no telepath, Shinobu felt the furious vibes of those words as the thug mouthed them. Recovering from his initial shock, anger fuelled the thug’s movements as he roughly grabbed the teenager’s arm and twisted it around. Losing her balance, her knee-kick missed and she fell onto the hard ground, eyes scrunched in pain. As the thug approached her fallen form to taunt her further, Shinobu’s line of vision caught sight of the newcomer once more. Her fish-like eyes widened with alarm upon seeing someone sneak up behind the person, trying to catch them unawares.

“Behind you!”

The ringing in her ears was slowly fading, and she heard echoes of her voice shout out the warning to the stranger who was helping her.

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm

July 20th, 3:38 PM

As the female scientist turned her head away, I had already begun my assault on the Skill-Outs closest to her. As far as I was concerned, they were the most prevalent threat present.

After all, the five thugs who had been caught in the immediate blast radius of the flash grenade would definitely be knocked out. The two who still stood the farthest away had not been given time to move forward, so the four surrounding the victim were top priority.

I knew that the deafening effect of the grenade would reach the poor girl's ears, but the damage would be minimal from that range. Her hearing certainly wouldn't be permanently damaged, and within a matter of seconds she'd be able to hear clearly. I left myself a short window to intervene, but I watched the target - the man who had pinned the scientist to the wall - convulse and then crumple into an unconscious heap on the ground.

When my eyes rose from the knocked out gang member to the now freed scientist, I noticed her gaze was focused - however briefly - on me. She had apparently turned her head to regard her assailant. Naturally, with him on the ground she would see me standing there amidst the dispersing cloud of confusion.

And she didn't waste any time either.

Like me, she seemed to know every second counted in this sort of situation. With a sudden burst of movement, she turned to regard the assailant whom had previously occupied himself with rummaging through her right labcoat pocket.

Only now she was facing him. Well, to be more precise, she had turned her body at an odd angle and was still mostly centered between the two would be pickpockets.

With a movement like lighting, her foot crashed - hard - into the stomach of the man.

I might have been able to react to such an attack - maybe - but between her earlier lack of resistance and my intervention in this mugging attempt, neither of the Skill-Outs had expected such a turn of events.

For someone so small, she moved quickly, and it occurred to me.

She wasn't "not resisting." She was planning this out, and trying to find the best time to make her move.

To be honest, I am not sure whether the use of my flash grenade or the girl's sudden movement is a bigger surprise to the group of Skill-Outs.

Whatever the case, the guy she kicked square in the gut gave a yelp of pain before crumpling onto the alleyway floor. The other man - the one whom had been digging through her right pocket - took a step back, visibly shocked at the sudden show of resistance.

As if to continue her onslaught, the scientist with the dark markings beneath her eyes advanced on him. Her knee shot up like a spring-loaded trap, and the target was the man's groin. If that blow landed, the man would undoubtedly be incapacitated.

I couldn't sympathize with the man, but...

Even so, women can be truly cruel.

That was the thought that rose to the surface of my mind. Until the thug came to his senses, and grabbed hold of one of the girl's arms. With a hard wrenching motion, he forced the girl off balance and sent her crashing onto the stone below. She landed on her rear end, but had still been "thrown", causing some apparent pain.

The girl grimaced, and the man advanced.

"Get away from her!"

I wasn't even sure either of them could hear my voice clearly, but I didn't think about that.

I took a step forward with the intent to put myself between the girl and her attacker, but before I could do so...

"Behind you!"

Her voice was strained and desperate, a call to protect her defender.

The urgency in her voice and the sudden widening of her already wide eyes told me everything I needed to know. The man I had put to my back - the one who had been going through the girl's presumably empty envelope - had apparently been motivated by his comrade turning the tables.

The thug had watched his cohort take down the scientist, and perhaps that reminded him of their advantage in both physical build and numbers. Aside from the man standing over Nunotaba and the one coming up behind Shirou, there were still two others off to the side whom had helped chase their prey into the trap.

I knew of their presence, sure enough. But my attention had been on the girl's counterattack, and in that time the guy behind me has gained new resolve.

I hear his quiet footsteps behind me, hurried but measured.

I feel his presence. Although, maybe that's only because I now know he is advancing on me. He can't be but one or two steps behind me, and even that distance may only have been created by myself taking a step towards Nunotaba.

And by stopping, I have given myself a couple of seconds to react. That's plenty of time, but I have to move now.

No, it's too late for that.

And besides, I can't take my eyes off the vulnerable girl before me. If her labcoat wasn't evidence enough, the fact she was so easily thrown off balance is proof that she is no fighter. The man standing above her, though, clearly is. If I turn to defend myself, I open the door for her assailant to begin his onslaught anew or even take her hostage.

Her safety comes before mine.

So, rather than turn around, I move forward with a fluid second step. And then, I sprint forward and close the remaining distance between myself and them. The taser is still in my hand, and it is a sure fire way out of this situation.

Even if he grabs her, the current will not conduct any better than it did when I stunned their leader. His focus is completely on her, and mine is just as heavily focused on both of them.

I place my bet on the prediction that the one behind me won't have expected me to break into a run. Adrenaline and the desire to protect this young lady pour nitros through my veins and into my muscles. Even without Reinforcing my own body, I move faster than I recall ever doing before without some magical backup.

This is my belief in justice!

With all my weight behind me, and the momentum carrying me forward, I close in two steps the six-step distance. Backed up the same physical forces, I thrust my arm forward and drive the end of the taser into his back.

"Back off!"

I allow the twin electrodes to dig into his back, and once again hear the angry buzzing of several 975,000 bees.

Made of voltage.

These bees sting the man all over, flying throughout his body and causing him to convulse faster than most people could consciously do. And when I call the handheld hive back from his body, the man collapses just like his leader.

But this should be it.

If the two Skill-Outs standing off to the side still haven't decided whether or not intervene, then the one behind me will have closed the distance if he did continue to pursue me. Now I am the one standing over Nunotaba, but to guard myself I turn around.

Apparently, my sudden take off threw the man for a loop. He couldn't be that far away from me if he had been running from the start.

Thankfully he had tried sneaking up on me, a plan ruined by the scientist behind me. I regard my attacker, and hold the taser slightly to one side in a gesture of warning. My left hand's fingers depress the trigger, and a small arc of electricity crackles between the two contact points. I glare straight at him, making sure not to let my guard down in case the two unharmed Skill-Outs attempt to work with their brave friend.

I am bluffing, of course.

But my hope is that having seen his leader and a second gangster get dropped by the taser will give him second thoughts or at least pause. Pause long enough for the girl behind me to get to her feet, and to think of another plan.

If all three charged me at once, then I doubt I could take them all out by myself.

I was warned not to openly use magic by the "Fake Priest" who is my overseer.

Even so, this is a matter of justice.

A matter of defending someone else.

The three gangsters have sure enough formed a surrounding arc to head us off from all sides. Our backs are to the wall - or at least, hers will be - and I doubt they'd let me reach into my cloak for a backup weapon.

---So, I don't.

I focus my mind, allowing myself only enough awareness to regard all three of the remaining enemies. If the girl speaks to me, I do not hear.

Nor do I listen to any threats or curses these morons have to offer. All I focus on is something I desperately need.

A weapon.

A weapon that will help us escape, or at least neutralize all three of my enemies, without harming the girl behind me.

I see it in my mind's eye, and drive all of my focus towards this familiar weapon.

The barrel. The oddly-shaped magazine arcing from the top of the weapon. The two pound trigger and its guard. The iron sight. The internal structure that allowed for this fully automatic pistol to operate.

Even down to the molecular and chemical reactions of the gunpowder, I etch all of these with a mental knife into my right hand. The price for such pain appears where my empty hand had grasped the air: a perfectly built "Shanxi" Type 17, a .45 caliber machine pistol.

Without waiting for them to act, I level the barrel at the one standing the furthest to my left.

And the world slowly comes back into focus, my own ears left ringing from the pain of the Projection.

But this gun will deal with them, even if they all attack at once.

"Get away from her! Just turn around and walk away, before this situation escalates!"

That is my demand, my attempt to talk sense into these violent people.

And I hope that it works.

Last edited by Emiya Shirou on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction in spelling)
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Even after her timely warning, the stranger did not turn back to protect himself. Instead, he ran forward with a burst of speed towards them, and before Shinobu could fully understand what had happened, the thug standing over her convulsed violently, letting loose a half-choked wail of pain. He slumped like a sack of bricks, and lay there facedown and unmoving. Shinobu’s eyes traveled up and down the newcomer’s form, coldly accessing him. This guy obviously knew his stuff.

The stranger stood, facing the other two thugs left. He held taser in his hand, letting the blue sparks leap between the electrodes in warning.

‘Is he a complete fool?’

As the remaining Skill-Outs focused their attention on the newcomer and his buzzing taser, Shinobu took the opportunity to stand herself back up. She brushed her gothic lolita clothes free of dust, eyeing her dirtied lab coat on the ground a few meters away.

"Get away from her! Just turn around and walk away, before this situation escalates!"

Her eyes swiveled back to the stranger, calmly noting the gun in his head. She couldn’t really be surprised anymore. If he possessed a taser, there was no reason why he couldn’t have had a gun hidden away on his being. Having such weapons meant that he was not an Esper, Shinobu concluded, unless he was a low-level one with a high degree of self-preservation.

No, Shinobu immediately corrected herself, if he had self-preservation, he wouldn’t be standing there right now, between her and those thugs.

‘What a strange person…’

“D-dammit!” One of the thugs swore loudly. Ever since his comrades had started dropping to the ground one by one, his face had paled considerably. Now he looked to be on the verge of fainting out of pure fear, his legs visibly shaking.

The other thug was still smirking, trying to look confident even as sweat ran freely down from his hairline.

“Hehe, did you get that toy for your birthday, kid?” He leered at the stranger. “We’ll show you- Huh? Wait!”

It was obviously too much for the other thug, who had suddenly fled away like a cat with fire burning on its tail.

“Tch!” The last thug stood his ground. He quickly rearranged his facial features back into that confident grin. “Fine, I can knock you out by myself!”

With that, he darted forwards, charging at the stranger with a cocked back fist. Perhaps he thought the newcomer was bluffing about the gun, perhaps he was really confident about his own abilities or just plain stupid with a death wish… Whatever the reasons were, he charged straight at the red-haired like a bull being mocked with a red flag.

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnus Springs Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 am

Autumnus had been talking with Mori for some time. They had left the cafe, and were headed to a new location to discuss plans. Autumnus had almost forgot to remove the explosives near the cafe, but he stopped, and went back to get them.

Finally, they had arrived in the location. It was a nearly empty apartment, with only a laptop computer.

"Make yourself comfortable," he said.

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm

July 20th, 3:40 PM

My Projection succeeded, and in more ways than one.

By simply holding the machine pistol as it was meant to be wielded, I could analyze its structure internally. It was a perfect Projection, and as a result it was fully functional.

However, I had only created the weapon in order to intimidate the three remaining enemies into surrendering.

The guy who had been advancing on me from behind should now stand furthest to my left, with the two others whom had been standing off to the side since the beginning. The two others had not done anything since my arrival, figuring that their leader and the three others would be enough to frisk this target and claim their reward. To affirm my count in having three enemies remaining, I replay the battle in my head.

The five Skill-Outs who had served no other purpose than to head off the fleeing scientist had all been neutralized by a flash grenade landing in their midst.

While the group's highest-ranking member had held her arms to the wall, three other men had been searching her. One man had been rifling through each pocket, and one through an empty envelope.

That whole time, two others had been standing off to one side, as reinforcements.

The leader and the guy originally to Nunotaba's left had been taken out by a taser and a kick to the stomach, respectively. The guy on her right hand then struck back, throwing her off balance and standing over her.

This left the one searching the envelope to my bac; he had attempted to sneak up behind me, but thanks to the scientist - whom had then been laying on her back - I evaded him by moving forward and straight into the Skill-Out standing over her.

Right.

That had left us with three men to corner us; the one whom had originally tried sneaking up behind me after I stunned the leader, and the two who stood off to the side up until that point.

Of these three targets, one turned tail and ran.

The second seemingly did nothing, perhaps flabbergasted by the defeat of his comrades.

"Tch!"

But the third remaining enemy, the man farthest to my right, moved forward despite the firearm in my right hand.

If one is still standing there like an idiot, and the other is running away, my need for this weapon is gone.

Lethal force is no longer required to neutralize my enemy, but I still need to take out the charging bull. After all, if he were to overtake me, he might inspire the single remaining Skill-Out to join him.

I adjust my right arm's position and let my index finger slide from the trigger, forcing it to relax along the length of the gun above the trigger guard.

My left hand stops holding down the taser's switch, and I pull a secondary trigger that makes up the top quarter of the stun gun's overall trigger.

"Fine, I can knock you out by myself!"

In response, two electrodes emerge from the "bottom" of the taser as my left wrist turns just enough to allow for a precision shot.

The two electrodes I've relied on for contact-based incapacitation up until now are facing the wall behind me, but the two "ranged" electrodes - attached to the battery inside the taster through a pair of wires - are ejected from their chamber and close the distance between the oncoming mass of flesh and muscle. The small spikes sink into his left shoulder and right midriff, before the familiar buzzing is heard a third time.

Mid-charge, I score a direct hit even as this man sprints towards me. As a result of the electricity coursing through his body, he trips and is left laying before myself and the scientist, twitching this way and that like an epileptic chipmunk. I hold down the secondary trigger for only a few seconds, and then I release the pressure my finger applied. The electrodes are forcibly retracted from his body, and snap back into the hidden, secondary taser. With a silent "click" the wires are wound about the spool-feeding mechanism, and the "bottom" of the taser snaps back into a black, seemingly solid surface.

I tuck the gun back into my my cloak, and allow it to dissolve before its time.

There was no need to Reinforce that particular Projection, and if this last man standing tries anything... Well, the taser will be more than enough.

I throw a glare his way, and he too retreats, following his wiser comrade who had already scurried off.

And with that - the last of the present Skill-Outs neutralized - I turn to regard the girl behind me.

"Aha, sorry about the flash grenade, earlier. But it seemed like the best way to deal with the potential reinforcements."

I offer her a smile to accompany my sincere apology, looking down at her.

For the first time, I notice her eyes.

Unnaturally wide, with dark markings beneath them.

For some reason or another, the image of a fish comes to mind.

Last edited by Emiya Shirou on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:10 pm

July 20th, 3:39 PM

"Comfortable?" Mira repeated to herself, the cat-like smile on her face wavering for just a moment.

Her normally closed-looking, violet eyes opened visibly, and she looked about the bleak apartment. The only noticeable aspect of the room was a laptop computer, presumably Autumnus' own. She had no clue what to make of such a drab area, but Misaki - behind the monitor of her vessel - was convinced that her newly-hired mercenary couldn't actually live here.

He is a man of a rather unique trade. So, it isn't surprising that he'd want a neutral ground like this.

She could forgive him for being careful, she supposed.

"This drab place doesn't look like anyone's actual residence," Mira Armstrong began, facing the laptop computer which sat alone on the hardwood floor.

"So, can that thing help us plan out our actual course of action? It's a bit late to look at starting a real investigation today, but..."

Mira waited for an answer, leaning back against the door and folding her arms across her  B-cup breasts, which were taped down beneath her red tank top and the white gi she wore over that.
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnus Springs Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

"It isn't anyone's residence. This building was closed a while ago due to a chemical leak." said Autumnus. "And yes, this laptop should have all we need."

He powered on the device, and logged in.

"A system is set up so that no one can trace this device, at least, not with some difficulty. And even if they do, this building is well defended. Far more well defended than one may think."

He walked over to a boarded up window, and looked out through a small crack.

"We should be safe. There are several measures here to jam any wireless device in this room. This laptop has a wire that leads through the walls to a hidden modem on the ground floor."

He looked over at Mori. "And, yes, we should start an investigation today. Hand me that file folder. Oh, and there's a good chance our benefactor knows more about this case than what's in there. Tell me every thing you know about both Nunotaba and our Big Dipper."

Autumnus had nothing to base this on, but if his partner knew something he didn't, it would likely lead to him being double crossed in the future, and that was something he didn't want happening. He vaguely remembered almost getting killed by something like this once, and he didn't want it to happen again. Of course, making his partner suspicious of him was also a bad idea. He wanted his partner to think he trusted her.

And besides, the people who hired him always had their dark secrets.

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 am

Eyes like those of a fish stared down at the twitching figure, then swiveled upwards to regard Shirou as he spoke.

"Aha, sorry about the flash grenade, earlier. But it seemed like the best way to deal with the potential reinforcements."

For a long moment, she stood in stony silence, her expression blank.

“I could have easily dealt with them,” she finally said. Her voice was calm. “But I should thank you.”

Nodding to herself, the scientist rolled out a single English word.

“Justified~”

With that, she abruptly turned and began to walk away.

Last edited by Misaka Mikoto on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Eyes as wide as golf balls regard me with an almost deadpan expression.

Her eyes are certainly unique; they lend her a slightly fatigued air, yet they do not exude any particular emotion.

We stood in silence for a few seconds, neither of us saying anything to the other.

I wonder if she's mad after all.

"I could have easily dealt with them,"

Those were her words, and I wondered to myself if perhaps she had not wanted to be saved in the first place.

But then...

"But I should thank you."

That seems like a more normal reaction.

I think this to myself, but I don't dare put my thoughts into words.

I'm still uncertain about this girl, who seemed reluctant to even thank the one who saved her.

That's fine, though. I don't save people because I want to hear someone say "thank you" or anything childish like that.

"Justified~" The scientist managed, her English noticeably accented by her Japanese dialect.

She turned away from me, and began to walk down the alleyway.

I look down for a moment, and my eyes are drawn to a white coat laying several feet away on the ground.

I take a couple of steps towards it, and pick the lab coat up in my right hand.

As I do so, I speak to the girl's back.

"H-hey! Wait, you forgot your jacket!" I insist, holding the jacket in my right hand and the empty letter in my left.

I walk towards her, hoping my words were enough to stop her.
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  [OLD] Shokuhou Misaki Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 pm

July 20th; 3:41 PM

"It isn't anyone's residence," The unsettlingly silent mercenary informed Mira, finally seeming to trust his environment enough to say more than five words at a time.

"This building was closed a while ago due to a chemical leak."

A chemical leak? I hope they've shut off the lines then, or else they could be in trouble.

She decided to trust her latest employee, hoping that poor Mira wouldn't be forced to suffer for any mistakes Autumnus made.

At the very least, the laptop would be adequate for the purposes of planning out their next courses of action.

Misaki flipped a switch - both literally and mentally - and allowed Mira to function in her "autonomous" controlled mode. She already knew her little judo-loving proxy inside and out. So, she felt comfortable creating a few specific commands and safeguards before turning over control of Mira back to the oblivious host.

"That's alright then, I suppose." Mira mused in response to her comrade affirming the computer's functionality.

As he logged himself in, she leaned her back and shoulders against the door in a rather relaxed manner. She idly watched him with one indigo eye, keeping the other closed.

While she relaxed - all the while allowing her open eye to move about the room to look for any noticeable features worth remembering. She noticed two cables coming from the back of the laptop; a power cable and a DSL cable, but that was it for the most part.

He went on to explain that the device itself was protected from being traced back to their location, at least in part. She was impressed, even if she didn't show it in any way save for the slight dilation of her left pupil. This guy had thought ahead of any - well, most - potential enemies, though given his line of work she supposed that it shouldn't be surprising.

"Oho~" Mira made a small chuckling sound, though it was not made out of disrespect or in an unkind way.

"That's cool. That you can do that, I mean." Mira added, shifting her weight onto her feet, and walking closer to Autumnus and the computer. "I don't know much about computers, really. I mean, I can use the Internet or access my email, but nothing like all that."

Even as she admitted her lack of leet computer skills, she stood behind Autumnus and watched the monitor with a lazy smile on her face. As she did so, the mercenary moved over to the nearest window, and peeler cautiously through a crack that allowed him to see outside more easily than one could see in.

"Oh!" Mira piped up, as if she had remembered some fact she had forgotten.

"What kind of defenses are you talking about? Like, cameras and stuff? Or something more dangerous?"

Her question was sincere, but her tone carried a certain whimsical playfulness that seemed characteristic to Mira's personality.

Undoubtedly, Autumnus would know that verbal jab was aimed at him; she had given him a hard time about planting explosives near the cafè once he had needed to go back for them. It seemed like she was never going to let that go.

Yet, even as she teased him, she handed the Manila folder over to her teammate. Even when he mentioned his suspicions about their employer, Mira's relaxed expression didn't so much as waver. Instead, it was her turn to be prepared for her partner's shift in discussion.

Misaki had planted many safeguards within the girl's mind, and one had been activated when Autumnus mentioned their employer.

"Well," Mira began, gesturing to the folder she had just handed to the taller male. "Everything I know about this 'Nunotaba' is in there. We don't have too much to go on, if you want my honest opinion."

A pause, before she allowed both of her eyes to open. The expression she wore now was one of suspicion and almost solemn scrutiny.

"You may be right. This person - Big Dipper - is very careful, it seems. I was contacted by a proxy, and when I followed the girl, she went to an apartment complex near A Certain High School."

Mira blinked, before raising her eyes to meet his.

"Oh, did you decide on a code name yet? I decided to stick with 'Kitty', as I think it fits. But our benefactor doesn't seem to want us to use real names with others."

Mira spoke those words was with a certain... Uncertainty, a genuine lack of clarity making itself present.

She was just as in the dark about their mysterious employer as he was, but was arguably more interested in the case at hand.
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
[OLD] Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 am

"H-hey! Wait, you forgot your jacket!"

Shinobu stopped in her tracks and turned her head to his shout. Her pinprick pupils fell on her white lab coat, now dirtied with filth from the thugs’ grubby hands and the ground. She took one long look at it and swiftly turned away.

“No need,” she said simply, “Do what you want with it. I have plenty of spares.”

With that, Shinobu resumed her steady pace forwards, seemingly not noticing, or caring that the stranger was following her. In fact, the girl had hardly even glanced at the red-head when he had fetched her the coat.

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

In response to my call, the lolita-loving scientist comes to a stop and turns her eyes back towards me.

I feel rooted in place by that stare, though it doesn't seem to contain any malice.

In a sense, it feels similar to the "mask" that Kiritsugu taught me to create. Sometimes, it is necessary to exert precise control not only over one's emotions but one's body as well. However, this girl's somewhat vacant stare doesn't feel like a fabrication.

In that fleeting glance, I can see that this girl has experience beyond her years.

She watches the jacket for a few seconds, and I stand rooted, not approaching or following her just yet.

"No need." She tells me, not unkindly.

"I have plenty of spares."

And with that perplexing statement, I was the owner of a white labcoat. Instinctively, I fold it over my right arm neatly. It's not like I want the thing, but it might prove useful as a disguise later.

Besides, I don't know what someone else could do with it. Or what a random person might think if they happened upon the jacket in this alleyway.

Before I can decide what to say next, the girl begins walking again. Her steps are no different than the rest of her movements; they are measured and precise, as if each one serves a purpose. And without waiting for instructions from my brains, my legs begin to follow her.

I don't say anything at first, and I keep a distance of two or three yards between her and I.

We soon emerge from the alleyway and are on the street, and I feel the weight of people's eyes upon us.

"Is that guy her butler?" I hear one random passerby whisper to her friends.

"No, I think that he's her boyfriend. He looks like he's carrying that coat for her."

"But isn't it the wife who is supposed to stay three steps behind?" Another girl whispers, prompting a small clamor of giggles from the group of four or five female students.

I feel my cheeks redden slightly at that comment, and I pick up my pace just a little, doing my best to ignore the gaze of that gaggle of schoolgirls

"Ah... Miss?"

I call out tentatively, though I don't expect her to stop. I continue to walk the three-step distance behind her, so I speak at a normal volume.

"My name is Shirou. Kotomine, Shirou."

I use the surname of that Fake Priest, who is the antithesis of the man who raised me.

As far the Roman Catholic Church and Academy City's records are concerned, though, that is my real name.
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Shinobu ignored the whispers and giggles floating past them as they walked along the street. Without having to look, she knew the stranger was still following her, just some steps behind.

‘He’s a persistent one. What’s his end game in following me?’

Seeing herself as a very logical and efficient scientist, Shinobu could not imagine anyone doing anything without a particular goal in mind. In her eyes, every action had a purpose, every intent had a personal gain lurking behind it. It was just the way of the world. Especially in the world of Academy City.

"Ah... Miss?"

When she didn’t answer him, he continued.

"My name is Shirou. Kotomine, Shirou."

Her head turned slightly as two small dots that were her eyes swiveled to one side, gazing at him with an unfathomable expression. Her walking pace hardly slowed, even though it was questionable whether the girl was even looking where she was going anymore. For a long moment, those fish eyes looked at the red-head quietly, then returned back to their original position as her mouth opened to speak,

“I see no reason to exchange personal information,” the girl said shortly.

She enveloped herself in a cold silence for a few seconds, deep in thought. It looked as if she wouldn’t divulge any further information, but then-

“But since you gave your name so willingly, I guess it’s only fair I give mine.”

At an entrance of an alleyway Shinobu abruptly stopped, spinning on the soles of her feet.
“Equilibrium~” the English word rolled off her tongue easily as her fish-like pupils locked directly onto Shirou’s.

“Nunotaba Shinobu,” the girl introduced herself curtly. Her creepy eyes continued to assess the person before her, as if thoroughly analysing him.

Spoiler:

Misaka Mikoto
Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Emiya Shirou Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 pm

I could see that the excited giggles and gossip of the gaggle of schoolgirls did not phase the scientist before me.

Lucky for her.

My normally pale cheeks - on the other hand - are tinted a faint shade of red from the gaggle's choice of words.

Ever since becoming an Executor three years ago, not much can phase me if I don't wish for it to.

Every very man has his weaknesses. If there is one thing that can throw me off, it is the fairer sex. It is a curse all men must bear, I suppose.

Even so...

I can not help but think to myself that Kiritsugu and Kirei are "above" such things, such feelings of impulse and embarrassment.

Apparently, this girl is also unaffected by those kind of things.

I find myself envying her capacity for apathy.

Wanting to know the girl's name - not out of a desire to credit myself or put her in my debt, but simply to learn this interesting person's name and not having much else to say - I give her my name.

In a show of disquieting uncertainty, her eyes turn back towards me. She walks forward with her arms at her side, but her eyes are not focused on the path ahead of her.

For a moment, I wonder if that is alright. Before I can express my concern, however...

"I see no reason to exchange personal information.

That was her response, but even those bluntly spoken words were not uttered unkindly. From most people's mouths, that statement would seem rude to me.

In this case, I don't even feel the impulse human's have to be offended when faced with a "brick-wall" social situation.

I guess it is only natural considering my relationship with Kiritsugu who used to be like that - or so he said.

We keep walking together, despite those words. I do not feel like our conversation is over, which is odd considering her curt nature. In this case, her opinion on the matter seemed genuine.

She isn't telling me she won't give me that information.

She is literally stating her thoughts on the matter, and weighing the circumstances surrounding our encounter. Finally, she comes to a stop in front of an alleyway. I find it remarkable that she didn't bump into anything or anyone during the past few moments of her walking without looking where she was going.

With a graceful spin of her slender frame, she turns to face me. Her eyes meet mine, and she offers another English word to elaborate on her decision.

In my opinion, equivalence has little to do with it , but I'm not about to argue with her.

"“Nunotaba Shinobu.”"

She says as much, and I commit both her name and face to memory. It is an unusual name, or at least her family name is. Or maybe that's just my opinion on the matter.

But in the end, a unique name suits a unique individual like Shinobu well enough.

So, it's fine.

The situation I found her in when I met her. Her choice in gothic lolita fashion. Her status as a scientist. Even her eyes, which are as unusual as mine. All of these things have that much in common.

I find all of these aspects as unique as her name, and so it all suits her perfectly.

Her curt response doesn't give me much to go on, but I'll work with what I can get.

Beneath her studious gaze, I realize she is watching me so closely in anticipation of some reaction. She has been measuring me since I met her, and every interaction since then has been a chance for her to try and figure me out.

I guess I shouldn't expect any less from a real scientist.

I am more than capable of providing her scanning eyes either false information, or none at all. But I see no reason for such theatrics. Not here, not now. Maybe it is naïve on my part, but I don't feel as though this girl could be my enemy.

"Well," I begin my out-loud thought carefully, considering my choice of words.

"I am stationed in this city by the Roman Catholic Church, if my attire did not give that away."

I pause, and slide the stun gun back into my cloak.

"As such, I feel that it is now my responsibility to offer you an escort back to your place..."

I pause, considering that maybe she doesn't plan on going back home yet.

"Or wherever it is you are headed, Nunotaba-san."

My amber eyes meet hers with unwavering determination, showing my resolve.
Emiya Shirou
Emiya Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumnus Springs Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm

"Don't worry about the defenses too much" said Autumnus. "There should be enough to keep us protected as long as we are here."

The defenses in the building were certainly dangerous, though. Behind the tacky wallpaper, there were explosives, several linked to secret detonators placed behind lumps in the wall. Some rooms had tripwires in them, and much of the floor had metal wires between the old, hard, floorboards.

Autumnus accessed the internet, and pulled up a browser. He pointed to an image. "This is where Nunotaba used to work," he said. "We should get information from here."

The building seemed fairly average. It had a white exterior, and mirrored windows so no one could see in. Autumnus did a bit more typing. "Here are the floor plans for the building," he said. He clicked the print button. All of a sudden there was a whirring sound. "Here, we should look over these. Once we are ready, there is a tunnel that should lead to the apartment next door, which has some equipment. Also, a codename? Um--I'm not sure. Maybe 2001? Would that work?"

Autumnus stood up.

Last edited by Autumnus Springs on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OK.)

Autumnus Springs
Level 2 Location Read

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next